Raw Materials Manager
Company: Newell Brands
Location: Rohnert Park
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Position Title: Raw Materials Manager
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Reports To: Director, Global Sourcing and Raw Materials
Newell Brands is a global marketer of consumer and commercial
products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn,
work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial
brands that matter while leveraging the benefits of being one
company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of
This position is part of Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA),
a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), a globally recognized
designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance
technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that
includes Marmot and ExOfficio. We free more people into wild spaces
and far-off places with progressively better gear. This is a job
summary which includes essential job duties of this position. More
specific information regarding duties may be provided upon
Summary & Objectives:
The Raw Materials Manager provides technical fabric management
through the coordination of research and development projects for
all seasonal fabrics within the assigned category for Newell Brands
Technical Apparel. (NBTA)
The position leads a team of raw material support specialists
and collaborates with internal Category Teams, Design, Tech Design,
Developers to execute creative, performance driven materials that
meet product requirements. Researches trend and forward-thinking
fabric development and defines strategies for in season and
seasonless long range fabric development. Includes managing the
testing environments, lab dips and special finishes to execute
against calendar deliverables and supports the visibility needs of
the planning and operations partners for on time delivery.
Job Scope & Major Responsibilities:
- Meets regularly with the specialist teams to collaborate on
operational excellence and alignment of supply chain needs to
support streamlined process and provide mentorship and
- Attend fabric meetings with Category Manager(s) and Designers
and Developers to regularly review, refine and develop into fabrics
appropriate for the category within the calendar windows, taking
accountability for landing fabrics on time, on quality, on trend,
- Researches and sources new innovative fabrics that align with
the category needs including qualities that require longer leads
times and may be outside of the current season. Maintains
visibility and tracks for future seasons thinking seasonless.
- Deep understanding of Outwear fabrics, membranes, coatings, air
permeability, water proofing, etc. and able to align within
appropriate product category.
- Keeps appropriate team(s) up to date on all open deliverables
of new, current and post season fabric status.
- Oversees and participates in maintenance of PLM data base of
fabric item numbers, descriptions and updates as needed.
- Attends key merchandising and design milestone meetings to
advise on the development of desired fabric finishes and hand
standards, costing, and prepares swatches for review.
- Attends key meetings/fabric fairs/expos to identify potential
fabric for new seasons, as requested by category managers and
design. Assists in creating seasonal fabric trend presentations to
share with design pre-season.
- Reviews fabric costing needs to be sure fabric is adoptable or
build into proper price for the product, interface with sourcing
team on costing scenarios.
- Coordinates development of new fabric finish effects with
vendors and the overseas fabric team including testing environments
- Coordinates testing requirements for specific category and
maintains testing log as well as updates on testing issues.
Regularly interfaces with Mill and third-party labs.
- Maintains physical fabric library.
- Participate in MOQ, MCQ and surcharges at the buy timing as
well as implementing process improvement for the overall process
- Supports Regulatory updates from International teams on REACH,
PROP 65 etc. as needed in conjunction with Newell organization
- Ability to meet development calendar schedules and keep team
informed on any issues.
- Travels to fabric Mills to review weaving, knitting and dying
processes and maintain best in class mill partners.
- Owns continuous improvement efforts on sustainable materials
and Blue sign alignment.
- Owns KPI management of Mill performance.
- University or four-year college degree in textiles, fashion or
apparel design or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 6 years of experience with fabric production,
preferably in the outdoor, travel, or similar apparel manufacturing
- Practical knowledge of related functions such as apparel
design, production, sales and merchandising, and practical
knowledge of product application and functionality are
- Knowledge of manufacturing process, fabrics, mechanical and
chemical treatment, and comfortable in foreign work
- Knowledge of textile and material construction and
- Knowledge of product costs
- Must have excellent color sense, ability to pass HUE 100 at
- Ability to manage and lead change, build SOP's and articulate
progress both orally and written
- Presentation/speaking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and
teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and respectful
working relationships in a team environment)
- Results orientation while exhibiting great creativity, energy,
- Strong project planning, organizational and time management
skills and an elevated level of initiative
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs; intermediate Microsoft
Excel skills required
- Able to travel up to 20% of the year, including international
travel to visit factories and mills
Amount of interface Involved:
- Extensive contact with NBTA employees and systems as well as
vendors and suppliers, administrative and executive teams; tact
- Frequent contact; reports and escalate to manager.
- High, disclosure impact is significant.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods
company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including
Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot,
Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK,
Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For
hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better
every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and
its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with
applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to
Keywords: Newell Brands, Rohnert Park , Raw Materials Manager, Other , Rohnert Park, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!