Company: Delta Dental of California
Posted on: June 18, 2019
AT DELTA DENTAL WE:
PROMOTE ACCOUNTABILITY, INTEGRITY AND COLLABORATION: Our employees
are collaborative, self-aware, and ethical. It is our expectation
to do the right thing and follow through on commitments.
FOSTER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Our employees take ownership of
developing self and others through coaching, mentoring and
providing/being open to constructive feedback and identifying
VALUE CUSTOMERS AND CULTIVATE POSITIVE EXPERIENCES: Our employees
take time to build rapport with customers, while anticipating and
exceeding their needs to ensure positive outcomes.
If you think this sounds like you, let s chat. We would love to
tell you more!
Follow us @lifeatDDins on Instagram, lifeatDDins on Facebook,
@lifeatDDins on Twitter
ABOUT DELTA DENTAL
Delta Dental covers more Americans than any other dental benefits
provider. As an employee you ll take part in our mission to become
the trusted health partner by collaborating with our communities
and employees to reimagine and deliver new possibilities in an
ever-changing environment. Our Enterprise Strategy focuses on
pillars of Growth and Diversification, supported by the platforms
of Culture and People, Process and Technology. Our employees take
pride working for a purpose-driven organization and live our values
of Trust, Service, Excellence and Innovation.
We are part of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of
companies that provides dental coverage to 74 million people in the
U.S. Delta Dental of California, Delta Dental of New York, Inc.,
Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and Delta Dental Insurance Company,
together with our affiliate companies, form one of the nation s
largest dental benefits delivery systems, covering 33 million
enrollees. All of our companies are members, or affiliates of
members, of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of 39
Delta Dental companies throughout the country.
Delta Dental provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, Delta Dental complies with
applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
At Delta Dental, our strategy is only as strong as the people who
execute it! We are hiring individuals that are not just right for
today but also for our future. We have built a foundation of
high-trust by treating all people with dignity, making and keeping
commitments, and consistently striving to do the right thing. Our
leaders optimistically share future possibilities to inspire and
motivate others toward their full potential. We expect our
employees to find ways to embrace positive change, be curious and
challenge the status quo, and provide solutions to unmet problems.
Joining Delta Dental means joining a culture focused on fostering
development, building genuine connections, recognizing each other s
strengths and sharing in successes.
Reporting to the Vice President and Chief Actuary, the Director,
Actuarial will be responsible for helping to develop the business
strategy and driving performance of the enterprise Actuarial
organization. This is a challenging opportunity to contribute in a
visible position at time of transition due to expanding product
lines and geographic markets, impact of health care reform, and
functional and system alignment enterprise-wide.
How you will make an impact:
* Lead the Actuarial organization s data, reporting and analytical
functions, including standardized and ad-hoc report production,
data validation, oversight of requirements and application of
Actuarial tools, etc.
* Oversee actuarial and analytical staff in multiple locations.
* Serve as a member of the actuarial leadership team, and aid in
staffing strategy, talent planning and culture of employee
engagement and accountability.
* Oversee Underwriting and Sales support functions, including
backup for rating, disruption, repricing, and RFP responses.
* Assist the department in its transition from a production
department to a strategic partner that helps drive the organization
towards analytically-based decision-making.
* Oversee support and maintenance of intra-departmental systems,
tools, and data repositories.
* Develop influence and collaborative working relationships across
* Represent the enterprise with key alliances such as
consultants/brokers, clients, auditors, reinsurance partners,
regulatory representatives, representatives of Delta Dental Plan
Association or Managed Health Care agencies.
* Support enterprise initiative to streamline and automate business
processes throughout the prospect and renewal cycles.
* Partner with Professional Services team to monitor and analyze
the effectiveness of Delta s utilization management programs.
* Partner with Delta IT to assure data access and integrity, and to
leverage emerging technologies toward improved decision analytics
and reporting tools.
* Partner with Sales and Product Development teams to develop,
automate and disseminate new customer reports, including the
development of a Wellness reporting package.
What we look for:
* A bachelor s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics,
Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or a related field;
MBA and/or FSA/ASA attainment is preferred but not required.
* 10+ years in progressively responsible actuarial or underwriting
roles, including experience in managed health care or
* 5+ years of supervisory experience.
* Understanding of insurance products and overall actuarial and
underwriting functions and financial levers, including reserving,
rate development, trend analysis, reporting, network analytics and
* Strong knowledge of or experience with programming languages
(especially SQL) and Data Warehouse development and
* Proven history of effective leadership to motivate and inspire,
grow and develop, and coach and manage employees and teams.
* Effective organizational skills to lead staff in multiple
* Demonstrated experience in problem analysis and problem
resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
* Excellent communication, influence, presentation, team and
* Willingness to travel to all enterprise locations and to other
locations as needed.
Benefits and perks:
* 12 days starting vacation plus 11 holidays and your birthday
* Multiple medical insurance options: 100% paid or low cost
* 100% paid dental insurance
* 100% paid vision insurance
* Onsite gym and/or gym discount and fitness incentive
* Culture of learning: substantial tuition reimbursement to improve
* Career growth: we love promoting from within
* Strong commitment to work/life balance
* Technology allowance
* Social responsibility and volunteer opportunities
Keywords: Delta Dental of California, Rohnert Park , Director, Actuarial, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!