Specialty Medical Director
Company: The American College of Radiation Oncology
Location: Rohnert Park
Posted on: January 14, 2021
Description VCA Animal Hospitals operates more than 1,000 small
animal veterinary hospitals in the U.S., Canada and Japan. The
hospitals are staffed by more than 4,500 fully qualified, dedicated
and compassionate veterinarians to give pets the very best in
medical care, of which over 600 are board certified specialists who
are experts in areas such as oncology, cardiology, emergency and
critical care, and surgery for animals. VCA Animal Hospitals
provides a full range of general practice services to keep pets
well and specialized treatments when pets are ill. As part of the
Mars Veterinary Health family of brands, VCA is committed to its
purpose-A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS--.
VCA Animal Care Center of Sonoma County (ACC) , a 24/7 Specialty
Referral and Emergency hospital is hiring a Specialty Medical
Director to lead our team. This is a wonderful opportunity to have
a positive and lasting impact.
VCA ACC began as an emergency practice and grew into a
well-respected emergency and specialty referral center, moving into
our existing 18,000 sq. ft. facility 16 years ago.A former movie
multiplex was completely remodeled to accommodate our large
specialty practice with 15 exam rooms, 4 surgical suites and plenty
of room to grow. Today, we are a team of 21 doctors, 55 technicians
(20 of them registered) who pride ourselves on our collaborative
approach to patient care representing Internal Medicine, Surgery,
Neurology, Cardiology, Dentistry and Rehabilitation. Equipment and
technology use includes 1.5T MRI, on-site 16 slice CT, endoscopy
and laparoscopy equipment, GE Vivid E95 cardiac ultrasound machine
with a 4D TEE probe, Philips touch 6 lead ECG machine, abdominal
ultrasound machine, 3 oxygen cage banks, a fully equipped cardiac
catheterization suite including a GE OEC 9800 fluoroscope, ECG
telemetry, underwater treadmill, laser therapy, non-invasive
surgical scoping equipment, and other state-of-the-art equipment.
This equipment is essential, but useless without a good team. We
strive for a cohesive and collegial relationship with one another
and with our valued referring veterinary partners.
There is a plaque at our hospital that says: "Committed to
excellence and exemplary care of pets and their human companions".
That is the central theme and fundamental belief of everyone who
works here and permeates everything we do.
As far as the surrounding area, you would be hard pressed to find a
more beautiful region of the country . With vast green vineyards,
redwoods, regional state parks with beautiful hiking and biking
trails Sonoma is an outdoorsman/woman's dream. It is just a short
drive to swim or surf in the ocean, ski in Tahoe, bike or hike in
the mountains, or enjoy all the virtues the San Francisco Bay Area
offers. The area is world renown for delicious food and wine, fresh
air, great weather and beautiful landscape. It really is like no
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field management
team, is responsible for establishing the medical quality and
patient care practiced by all doctors in a given hospital. The MD
achieves this through strong leadership and serving as a mentor and
role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. A MD should
demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, and a consistent
positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part of the hospital
management team responsible for the overall financial performance
of the hospital, and helps create and drive the overall direction
for the hospital that will achieve positive results. The MD also
fulfills all of the duties of a staff veterinarian in addition to
the specific responsibilities of Medical Director. The MD is a
mentor and role model for staff veterinarians and support team
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and
other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the
hospital and/or a situation objectively.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an
environment of changing priorities.
- Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with
co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within
- Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to
accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth
operation of the hospital.
- Ensures highest quality patient care (pain control, safe
anesthetic practices, wellness care, care for hospitalized patients
etc.) and medical decision making by the associate DVM team
- Oversees the medical protocols for the hospital by partnering
with the Regional Medical Director (RMD)- including handling of
patients with infectious disease, isolation protocols, anesthesia
prep/monitoring standards etc.
- Works with the associate DVM team to deliver a consistent
message to staff and clients regarding patient care, case
management and medical standards. Along with the RMD, gives
associate DVM's direct feedback on case management problems or in
cases where mistakes were made. Performs an internal review in such
circumstances and revises protocols when appropriate.
- Along with the RMD, medical record review of associate
- Decides on products/ drugs for hospital to carry as well as
equipment purchases within VCA guidelines
- Ensures drug log practices in place and secure
- Stays medically current by reading journals, attending CE
events. Shares knowledge gained with associate veterinarians and
- Along with RMD and Hospital Manager, performs yearly associate
- Supports VCA medical initiatives and ensures successful
implementation within the hospital
- Holds monthly doctor meeting
- Ensures equipment problems/needs reported to the HM. Along with
RMD and HM, creates new equipment requests
- The MD and RMD handle all client and RDVM complaints related to
medical quality or care provided. The MD works with the HM to
ensure delivery of top-level client service to every client.
- Oversees the client/patient flow to ensure clients receive
- Ensures high level and timely communication to clients by DVM
team in the delivery method requested by the client
- The MD/HM/ROD (Regional Operations Director) and RMD should be
key promoters of the hospital through community outreach and
- Encourage local outreach and community involvement by all
associates and other key members of the hospital team
- Participation in the development of local marketing initiatives
with the HM
- Strategic planning- continue to look at new opportunities and
develop innovative ideas to move the hospital forward
- The MD and HM should work closely together on hospital planning
for the future
- Job ID: 55465180
- Position Title: Specialty Medical Director Please refer to the
company's website or job descriptions to learn more about them.
Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)- Rohnert Park,... 2001 6th Ave,
Suite 2700 Seattle, Washington 98121 (206) 956-3650
Keywords: The American College of Radiation Oncology, Rohnert Park , Specialty Medical Director, Executive , Rohnert Park, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!